The History of the Society
The Society was inaugurated at a meeting on May 24th. 1933, when a group of aquarists determined to form a society to allow opportunities for like-minded individuals to share an interest in the study of aquatic life in the domestic situation.
As a consequence, the first official meeting of the Society was held at the (then) Melbourne Aquarium alongside the Exhibition Buildings, on the 17th. of July 1933, with twelve attendees.
Interest and initiative grew as more and more exotic fishes were successfully bred. Meetings continued at the Exhibition Buildings, then later, in the homes of members.
Eventually a larger meeting venue was required and the North Melbourne Town Hall became the home of the A. S. of V. until 1959
It was in this year that the venue changed to the National Herbarium, located in the Shrine Gardens on Birdwood Avenue, where meetings were held for the next decade.
On May 22nd. 1971, the Society relocated its headquarters to its own, newly renovated premises at 29 Grant Street Clifton Hill.
The hall being purchased from the defunct Abbotsford Angling Club. The Society has continued operating, with monthly meetings at the renamed C.R.Paton Hall in Grant Street, proud of its achievements in developing interest, and extending knowledge of, fish keeping in Victoria. In 2010 we begin a new phase of operations working in close conjunction with the Eastern Districts Aquarium Society, with alternating meetings combining members of both clubs.
This action has proved beneficial to both clubs with attendances at record levels and participation in club activities at the highest level for many years.